Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Jammin' with the pros

There are those times when I really feel like doing something musical. There are those times when I really feel like doing something creative. Then there are those times when both of those things come together. Today wasn't one of those days... well, not the musical & creative at the same time kind of day.

So on days like today I will grab my bass, put on the head phones, open iTunes and find some cool stuff to jam with. Lately I've working with Fleetwood Mac (in my dreams). John McVie is one of my favorite bass players. There is just something about his musical choices that resonate with me.

Today was a bit different as I was totally without direction or inspiration. Today I did a little work with the Traveling Wilburys (which was fun as well as educational) and then I tried to hang with the Police (on some of their simpler stuff). It is all good excercise for both my hands and my ears. For those of you following along with me on my adventure to broaden my musical experience... I force myself to actually understand what notes I'm playing while doing this. I used to just find the pattern without learning the notes... although it works, it doesn't really stimulate my understanding of what is gong on!

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm keeping my "Tales from Deception Gulch" reeled in close to home. There's just too much unbridled chaos floating around out there for me to even consider making a comment. So, for the time being anyhow, just stuff that is happening on the creative musical side of things.

Catch ya' later...


No comments:

Post a Comment